23 August 2009

Nothing like necessity


to make you try something new. Can officially say that I am back on the ice cream kick again, this time its fruit sorbet. We had six kiwis I had forgotten about in the fridge and they were just at that soft sort of mushy point that no one really cares to eat, this combined with the fact that I have not been able to find any fresh cream in the small shops in our area combined with the nagging desire to make some new ice cream. So that's what led me to try out making a kiwi sorbet. I followed a great (Jamie Oliver tip) which he used in a lemon sorbet recipe, that being that once you have dissolved the sugar in the boiling water add in a table spoon or two of marscapone, it slowly dissolves and makes for a very creamy sorbet texture. Am very happy with the result. Really refreshing. Next time I make it I would double the proporions, this made only a small pint of sorbet.

Kiwi Sorbet Recipe
6 kiwis (scoop out the insides and puree)
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
2 Tablespoons Marscapone cheese
A small squeeze of a lemon (to bring out the tang of the kiwis)

First Boil the water and sugar (just enough to dissolve the sugar) then add in the
marscapone, let this cool. Next scoop out the inside of the kiwis and puree, add in the
sugar mixture and about a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice. Pour into the ice cream
mixer and your done. I am guessing you can do this in a freezer container - stirring it
every few hours for a similar effect but have not tried.

I was on a bit of a it's-hot-and-we-need-some-cool-desert sort of kick and made this second ice cream that we will be taking to Birkirkara today for the St. Helena Feast.
That is a fresh peach and prickly pear (cactus fruit) ice cream. I have been determined to try and make something with the prickly pears, they have an odd texture but have such a nice gentle taste, in the end I ended up using peaches (very ripe and bruised) with some local prickly pear liquor and did this time find some single cream. Here is the recipe (quickly before I forget myself).

Peach Ice Cream
6 very ripe peaches
1/3 cup sugar dissolved in 1/3 cup hot water
250 ml single cream
3-4 tablespoons prickly pear(cactus fruit) liquor pure all together and wirl away in the ice cream machine

Makes a creamy delicate ice cream, like the kiwi sorbet it would go well after Sushi.
Last but not least, a photo of the fig ice cream, recipe featured on a previous post.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, you Ice Cream Monsters, that looks AbFab! I never made ice-cream before, maybe it a good day to start..... xg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never too late, it's more fun than you think to experiment with different combinations. I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I always enjoy reading them.

Wowzio Live Activity Feed

Related Posts with Thumbnails