18 June 2012

Plum Cordial


On our merry way back from the sea side we stopped along the dusty road side to buy some fruit from an old farmer dangling his long gangly legs out the back of a truck.  Taking a break in the shade, he leaned out and gave us a large nearly toothless smile, then proceeded to convinced my husband to buy not two but three baskets of small plums. Seeing his large hardened hands, extremely gnarled with age, tilted the scales.  He looked somewhere between 70 and 200.
 So with plums on the mind I came up with this summer drink. 

Plum Cordial
500 grams ripe plums 
1 cup sugar
juice from half a lemon and half a orange

Wash and  place the plums in a cooking pot, fill with water just an inch above the plums and let boil for a good 15 min. Pour through a sieve and set aside the boiled plums, place the remaining liquid back in the pot, add the sugar and boil for 10 min, turn off the burner and add the juice of half a lemon and half a orange. Let cool and decant into a glass bottle. 
Once cool, serve over a glass of ice (an inch is what I use but pour to taste) fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water and add a slice of lime. 

* With the left over plums press through a fine strainer and use this slightly compote a top some good quality vanilla yogurt or heated over ice cream. If you like it sweeter add in a few tablespoons of the cordial. 

* I have not tried yet but I can imagine this to be equally refreshing with Gin or Vodka added. 




5 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your last few posts. Where is that beach? It's not beach weather here but its nice weather and I enjoy my walks and cycling hours. TOday my friend went to pick up strawberries and we made jam this evening. Will post some photos on my blog. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadine! All the wonderful fruit that is in season right now is inspiring, figs, apricots, plums, melons, peaches! Am making ice cream this week, it's been too long! The beach is Ghajn Tuffieha, we got there early thus it looks so empty, the water was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries are at the end here and the summer fruits are picking up. Summer isn't though. We have nice days but not hot days... nothing like hot Maltese days! Saturday went to a school Fest in Luxembourg with food stands from all the European countries and it was a cold and rainy day, then Sunday was a warm day with no clouds. We have to catch up when I'm in Malta. Will be arriving on the 1st of July and have a week. Oh I've updated my blog. Will try and keep updating regularly while I am here.
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great idea! Haven't seen plums in the market here yet in Germany, but will keep my eye out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The drink sounds wonderful, but the story behind it even better. A tender observation of someone's life. I like your open eyes and generous heart Juniper. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I always enjoy reading them.

Wowzio Live Activity Feed

Related Posts with Thumbnails